Greetings CCFM members! Looking to see if any other dioceses/archdioceses have existing policies toward providing visibility into interior spaces with respect to safe environment concerns, such as requiring door vision lites or sidelites, and if so, what type spaces are included or excluded. Thank you in advance!
Michael, In the Archdiocese of Louisville, Sexual Abuse Policy and Procedures Manual titled RESTORING TRUST we have the following sentence:
“Avoid meeting privately with minors in areas where there is no window or where the door cannot remain open. If one-on-one pastoral care of a minor is necessary (e.g. Sacrament of Reconciliation), avoid meeting in isolated environments.”
You can get to the entire Policy and Procedure Manual on our website using the following steps:
1. Go to the Archdiocese of Louisville Web Site at: http://www.archlou.org,
2. On our Website, move your cursor over the drop down box at the top of the page titled “About”,
3. When it opens slide down and click on the heading titled “Archdiocesan Policies, Guidelines, and Handbooks”.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and under “Sexual Abuse Policies: Restoring Trust – Response to Clergy Sexual Abuse”, click on the link titled “Revised Policies & Procedures Manual (2018)”,
5. This will open the entire document.
The quote above can be found on the top of page 37.
I hope this helps.